View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default New here with CIPN

Hello to all! I am a 71 year old woman with serious CIPN which developed in January of 2017. I had breast cancer and took the AC combination followed by Taxol. I had to stop the Taxol 2 weeks early as my hands and feet were very sore, numb, burning, and felt like they were coated with sand. I was prescribed gabapentin, but it had no effect. I was then prescribed a low dose of Lyrica, but it did not help. In the meantime, my CIPN spread up my legs to my abdomen, on my arms up to the shoulders, back, and skull. I was referred to a neurologist.

My neurologist restarted the Lyrica and paired it with venlafaxine, a mood stabilizer. Mentally I felt so much better! Gradually the Lyrica has been increased and I have some relief, though on the 1-10 pain scale I am a 4-6 when up and active and a 2-3 when sedentary. I have found wearing heavy gloves helps avoid the pain and calms my nerves when I hurt badly.

Unfortunately, my neurologist is leaving a large national group and she signed a no compete clause and can't practice in my area for a year. I am so bummed! Our appointments were relaxed and she carefully listened to me! I will miss her so much!

I am glad to have found you all and hope to learn from you and share when I can..
Sumay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote