View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:53 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Hey folks, a quick one:

1) I had it confirmed 2 days ago, unequivocally, that glucose (sugar/carbs) does affect the nerve endings - that’s one of the reasons diabetics are prone to PN - and does make them “swell” in layman’s terms, but with no way to go. Ouch! He is an expert neurologist only working with PN patients. I felt a huge reduction in pain after cleaning up my diet in 2013. My previous neurologist looked at me like I was an idiot after I reported this, but it is science, not just “internet knowledge”. You can get a fatty liver from soda & fruit juice without ever touching a drop of alcohol. There are 8 year olds with fatty livers. (after all, alcohol is fermented fructose).

2) Alcohol is a very effective pain killer, so it is perfectly normal to feel much much worse immediately after quitting. This does go away, but do not expect a complete reversal. It happens, but it is rare. But the really bad pain will subside, no doubt about that. It does get better.

3) Do not let that discourage you. Continuing to drink after the diagnosis will cause a world of pain and/or disability (depending on what type of nerves were damaged). I’m perfectly happy not drinking, it’s not a thing anymore. I was sure it would be impossible to quit. I found out it’s not.*. I was sure my life would be empty and boring. It’s not. I thought I would no longer be able to play music, to be creative, etc. All wrong.

4) Sugary stuff can help you quit, that’s the paradox. Indulge if that helps you stay sober, you can always take that next step when you find your footing. Obviously, if you can do both, go for it!

* It’s 9:30 PM here and it’s the first time today, well, this week, that I think about alcohol, and only because I’m writing about it here. I feel - pinky swear - zero attraction to drinking though. And that in itself feels great. My wife still drinks (one of those weird normal drinkers) and it doesn’t trigger me anymore. Do not do this in the beginning though, make it as easy on yourself as you possibly can, it’s not a challenge.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!
Thanks so much!!! Appreciate!
Ctman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote