View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_A_Freeway View Post
I am a big fan of live music. When I came back home to NYC after being in treatment last August, I remember my first show that I saw and I was unable to stand up at a concert for more than 10 at a time. I would need to lean on something or take breaks sitting, or just sit the entire show.

Over labor day weekend I saw music 4 nights in a row. I was able to keep on the move cause the venue allowed for it, but rarely needed to sit, so that's an absolutely massive improvement than where I was a year ago.

Funny you mention that. In the summer of 2011 I finally got to see a hero of mine whom I admire since 1978. I felt awful, and thought about actually getting a wheelchair to get to the concert. This was before I got sober. I sat through the whole concert, and had a hard time concentrating on the music.

In 2014, they played in Belgium again, I was 2 years sober, and I stood & danced for 2 hours. Sure, I felt some pain the next day, but the difference was night & day. Even though it was the end of September, the concert was outdoors in a beautiful park, and it was 30°C. That night felt like a dream and made me realise how far I had come. I also realised that if I hadn't quit drinking I might probably be dead at that point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP1234 View Post
Thanks for the additional info. Interesting that you mention the progress stops at some point. How long was that time period for you? Was it a few months, years, before you plateaued?

I would say 4 to 5 years*. The current pains are nothing compared to what they used to be, but, at times, still bad enough to make working a very tough prospect. The most difficult to come to grips with is the swings. Some weeks/months go perfectly. No-pain-what-so-ever. I was able - 2 times - to drive 1000 miles & back without any real discomfort last year. Last week, just driving to the grocery store, 3 miles down the road, hurt, and I spent the rest of that day on the couch. It will get better again, it always does, but those swings mess with your head.

* those 5 years match up with scientific literature, that's really the window in which nerves can regenerate as far as they can in the best of conditions
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (09-16-2019)