View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Nervous about possible TOS...

Hi everyone. Sorry for the extremely long post. I’ll try to keep it in a neat format.

I’m not officially diagnosed with TOS but I’m fairly certain I have it. I have terrible posture ever since I was a child. Slouching was natural to me. I’ve been using the computer for 20+ years with that terrible posture.

This all happened in my left dominant hand first 2 months ago. My ring and pinky finger went partially numb first. It happened suddenly. In about 2-3 days my hand, wrist, and forearm along the ulnar nerve started to become partially numb too.

Dr. Google suggested that it’s cubital tunnel syndrome. A few real doctors said so too. So, I began splinting my arm at night and almost completely stopped using my left arm. My symptoms very gradually improved.. however about a month ago I started getting strange symptoms elsewhere.

So right now my current symptoms are:

Left side/arm

-Sensory issues with my ring, pinky, hand, wrist, and forearm on ulnar nerve side (tingling, stinging, electric shocks, slight numbness, etc.).
-Hand appears tanner than my right.
-Slightly swollen fingers.
-Elbow pain, mostly along the ulnar nerve area.
-While standing with my arm at the side, it is hanging at a bent angle, I say around 30 degrees. I can straighten it but my arm seems to be bent at an angle naturally.
-A click/pop feeling on the inside of the elbow when I fully extend my arm straight.
-A strange tugging/pulling sensation in my triceps from my elbow and into my shoulder blade area. It’s more noticeable when I bend my arm overhead, for example tying my hair up. I don’t think it’s a muscle.. maybe a nerve but I don’t know what nerve runs to back of the shoulder blade.
-Triceps feel weird... I would say very minor numbness.
-Not really noticeable, but if I concentrate there is a dull ache under my shoulder blade area.
-Pointer, middle, and thumb occasionally has a tingling sensation.
-Entire hand and arm feels slightly warmer and/or a burning sensation sometimes.
-Some days my neck/shoulder area feels tight. It’s very minor and it doesn’t restrict my neck movement.
-Clavicle bone feels extremely tight and uncomfortable sometimes.

Right arm

-Doesn’t happen often, but sometimes I get pain inside my forearm near the elbow bend area
-Pointer, middle, and thumb falls asleep when I sleep on my right side
-Slightly swollen fingers
-Hand feels warmer/burns sometimes.
-My skin around the elbow sometimes feels sensitive.
-Hand appears paler than the left (I’m just going to include this because I don’t know which color is normal).

I’ve been to a handful of doctors already. I’ve only gotten an EMG/NCV done on both arms from the elbow to hand. It came back normal. I mentioned TOS to an orthopedic and he doesn’t seem convinced. So now I’m seeing a neurologist. I’m going to get an MRI of my cervical spine soon.

Based on some of the things I've read on this forum, my symptoms seems very typical of TOS.... and I'm absolutely afraid of that. At first I thought cubital tunnel syndrome and the possibility of elbow surgery was bad.. TOS is a million times worse.

I’m already doing a lot of stretches and posture exercises on my own for about a month. It's still hard to keep a good posture for 24/7 but when I do, my hand/arms feel drastically better.

I’m considering just finding an expert PT but unfortunately it doesn’t look like my insurance will cover it. I don’t exactly make a lot of money so paying hundreds for an hour PT session is very steep. I also can’t see an expert out of state because my insurance only cover doctors within my area (NYC).

Anyway excuse my long post again. I'm not sure what I'm looking for.. I just needed to let this out. I'm just not really sure what to do at this point...
akute is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote