Thread: Fat pad atrophy
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 02:58 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Duffer View Post
Yes, I've struggled with plantar fat pad atrophy for about thirteen years. I went to a highly rated orthopedic surgeon in my area, who diagnosed me with high arches and plantar fat pad atrophy.

He referred me to an amazing orthotist who has fitted me yearly with fresh, updated orthotics. He analyzes the wear patterns (indentations) on the previous orthotics before adjusting the shape and off-loading characteristics of the new ones.

They're rather expensive, but fortunately my insurance covers the cost.

Keith, my recommendation to you would be to stay away from podiatrists. Traditionally, all they will do is inject you with Cortizone and sell you ridiculously overpriced and totally ineffective supplements for your neuropathy.

BTW, Cortizone injections can lead to further soft tissue degeneration.

Hi Joe, that’s a really useful insight which I appreciate. I’m going to see my gp on Wednesday so I’ll ask for a referral to a surgeon. Luckily the company for whom I work provide a good level of insurance which means I can get a quick appointment. I’ve been reading a bit about ulcers in the neoropathic foot and it seems I’m at risk of that. Your long term strategy gives me hope. I miss hiking, it would be great to have another opportunity to do that.
kmb sorefeet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote