View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batbite24 View Post
Sorry for what you are experiencing, glad you found this thread. I can't imagine any doctor saying the rabies post exposure protocol was unnecessary after an encounter such as yours with a monkey! Bad neurological reactions to the vaccine are no fun, but rabies is a death sentence. After much reading and research, I'm wondering why more doctors don't insist on travelers to Africa and Asia getting the pre-exposure vaccine before they go to these countries where rabies is endemic. WHO recommends it. After discovering the bat bites on my hands I was ready to fight for the vaccine if they tried to deny it to me! The neurological sensations you are experiencing are very real, and anxiety plays into the situation also, which I consider quite normal. Being bitten and going through treatment is traumatic. At this point your best option is to sit tight and see what develops. If it becomes unbearable, seek out a good neurologist who will run some tests to reassure you (blood test for autoimmune, EEG), but not go all invasive and extreme. Also be prepared to accept that the neurological side effects may wax and wane, seem very bizarre, and be with you for possibly years. For a long time it was nearly impossible for me to walk, and walking was very painful. If you've read the entire thread, you realize that with few exceptions, we've come out alright. Hoping the best for you.
Hi Batbite! Thank you so much for consistently checking in on this forum. It’s really reassuring to have some support from someone that has been through it and has managed to survive the rollercoaster of symptoms and emotions.

As for my symptoms, I wouldn’t say they are unbearable, just mostly annoying. I am a person that loves resting and its terrible that every time I lay down now I am hyper aware of every single twitching, tingling, and twinging sensation in my limbs. If I am walking I don’t feel anything, it’s just when I am laying down or sitting. Was this also the same for you?

I guess one of my main concerns is that the alcohol’s reaction with the vaccine was the main culprit in offsetting these neurological symptoms since, prior to the second shot, I had not been experiencing any abnormal sensations. I feel very confused. Everybody just wants me to wait, but I am scared that my symptoms will get worse and that I will end up paralyzed or losing complete sensation.

If you don’t mind me asking, when did it get to the point that you were unable to walk and what was this due to? Joint pain? Should I also expect my symptoms to worsen with time? How long did it take you to recover and are you fully recovered now? Sorry, I read all of the posts on this threads, but I already forgot some information.

Thank you so much once again! Also, sending some positive vibes to everyone in this group.
bacc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote