View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 09:24 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Thanks for the links about vigorous exercise. What Dr. Hageseth was doing looked like a lot of fun--I'll have to keep it in mind if I find I need to change things up.

I also took note of the fact that exercise may only do so much. I agree, and that's why I'm also doing a few other things based on two books I've read.

Concerning diet, I decided to follow Dr. Terry Wahls most aggressive diet Wahls Paleo Plus, that she describes in The Wahls Protocol. She's the Doctor with MS who was able to achieve major improvements through changing her diet. Most Doctors seem to recommend a heart healthy diet or a Mediterranian diet. I'd already been eating extremely healthy for most of my adult life (except I didn't go for organics) so I figured it was worth experimenting with something different. I've been on it a little over 6 months. It's easier to stick to the more I'm on it. After I had been on it a few weeks I noticed a muscle in my shoulder feel as if it was getting an electrical pulse. Nan mentioned a similar electrical feeling twice in earlier posts in this thread. After that pulse then I had less pain in my shoulder. I have since had pulses in other places with less pain to follow, so I think it's having an effect.

The other book that influenced me is Norman Doidge The Brain's Way of Healing. In there he discusses many modalities. I've been using red and infrared LEDs that my husband mounted in an old bicycle helmet and also a red and infrared laser that I apply to my brainstem, cerebelum and motor cortex. Finally in the book many people had success with a PoNS (Portable Neuro Stimulator). This device stimulates the tongue which has a pretty direct connection to the brainstem. The theory is it helps the brain achieve homeostasis. (A woman w/ PD got rid of her tremors after using the PoNS for 6 months.) Since the FDA didn't approve it yet I'm using a TENS to try and do the same thing. I started the Laser in July, the TENS in Sept and the LEDs in Oct. I know it all sounds a little flaky, but I've been seeing improvement in my gait -- less people asking if I hurt my knee because I'm walking funny.

Does anybody else have alternatives they're trying with success?
Chris_Dancer_Engr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote