View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 01:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so sorry you ate going through this.

Unfortunately...in my experience...if your doctor is lot listening to you and is not providing you with relief...there is nothing you can do to change them or make them change their mind. This doesn't sound like the right doctor for you. And unfortunately with new changes in the laws...many doctors are scared to provide their patients with proper pain relief meds. One tactic...if you haven't tried it with this doctor...is to talk about your goals vs just the pain. Like...I was to be able to exercise 30 minutes a day but I cant because XYZ, doctor can you help me achieve this goal? Now...their solution might not be what you want to hear but it can change the conversation to a solution seeking conversation and dialogue instead of dr talking at you and labeling you as drug seeking or something like that (not saying that's happening necessarily but creating that dialogue can be really helpful).

Pain meds have never worked for my CRPS/RSD. I have been forced to try different methods of relief. Each one provided a little relief and those combined made life tolerable. Things that helped me: hot baths with Epsom salts, lidocaine patches, heat patches, heated blankets, ultrasound heat therapy, TENS unit, and tDCS. I had a series of easy at home exercises (more like stretches) that I could do. Water therapy in a heated pool was also good...once i knew the exercises i could do on my own.

In 2017...I got a DRG spinal cord stimulator for my lower left leg (the worst area for my RSD). Prior to that...I could only be standing 5-10minutes max before i was at a level 10 in pain. I literally went in to the office in a wheelchair and walked out...and I've been walking ever since. Life changing. Pain isnt gone completely but reduced 80% in my lower left leg. I still have RSD in most of the rest of my body with a baseline of 8 pain level...but I could WALK and regaining that level of function has been amazing. Just today I got the DRG for my hands...and relief is the same as it was in my leg.

Not saying DRG is the answer for everyone...I would not ever consider the traditional spinal cord stimulator. But after doing my research on DRG stimulator I decided it was worth the risk for such a big pay off. And for me...it paid off when nothing else gave me significant relief. I'm not pain free and there are still many other areas of my body affected by RSD...but this type of relief even just in a few small areas has been amazing.

There are always new treatments coming out...I hope that you are able to find one that works for you and that you can get a doctor that is supportive of trying new things to help you.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote