View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

did you drink any? how did you hear about it?
I am so worried about weight gain from risperdal. I am taking money out of my savings. I get so anxious when my checking account dips. I think I will make an appt with the doctor and ask for geodon and not tell him I went back on risperdal. I have been reading stories of weight gain and I know in the past I gained a huge amount. I wish I could go on a keto diet.
I feel beyond awful about Suri's news but I aam beginning not to feel as manicky.

There are several reasons why MCT oil may be beneficial when you’re trying to lose weight.

MCT oil has been shown to increase the release of two hormones that promote the feeling of fullness in the body: peptide YY and leptin (2Trusted Source).

It may even be better than coconut oil in keeping you full. One study found that people taking two tablespoons of MCT oil as part of their breakfast ended up eating less food for lunch compared to those taking coconut oil (3).

The same study also discovered a lower rise in triglycerides and glucose with MCT oil, which may also influence the feeling of fullness.

Additionally, taking MCT oil has been shown to significantly reduce body weight and waist circumference. Researchers even report that it could help prevent obesity (4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source).

MCT oil has about 10% fewer calories than long-chain triglycerides (LCTs), which are found in foods such as olive oil, nuts and avocados (7Trusted Source, 8).

Your body also processes MCTs differently, which may help you burn calories (4Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).

Your body can use MCT oil as an instant source of energy, making it unnecessary to store fat for this purpose. Nevertheless, it’s important to note that your body may adapt to this dietary change, leading to only temporary results (6Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).

MCTs can be converted into ketones, which are produced from the breakdown of fat when carb intake is low. If you’re following a ketogenic diet, which is very low in carbs yet high in fat, then taking MCT oil can help you stay in the fat-burning state known as ketosis.

Lastly, your gut environment is very important when it comes to your weight. MCT oil can help optimize the growth of good bacteria and support the gut lining, which could also help you lose weight (11Trusted Source).

SUMMARY
MCT oil may support weight loss by increasing fullness, fat loss, energy burning, ketone production and by improving your gut environment.
2. Instant Source of Energy That Can Also Be Used to Fuel Your Brain
MCT oil has been dubbed a super fuel since your body absorbs MCTs more rapidly than long-chain triglycerides (LCTs), which contain more carbons in their fatty acid chains (7Trusted Source).

Due to their shorter chain length, MCTs travel straight from the gut to the liver and do not require bile to break down like longer-chain fats do (12Trusted Source).

In the liver, the fats are broken down to be either used as fuel or stored as body fat.

Since MCTs easily enter your cells without being broken down, they can be used as an immediate source of energy (13Trusted Source).

When you’re on a ketogenic diet, MCTs can also be converted into ketones in the liver.

These ketones can pass through your blood-brain barrier, making them a convenient source of energy for your brain cells.

SUMMARY
MCT oil is easily absorbed and transported throughout the body. It can be used as an instant source of energy or can be converted into ketones to fuel your brain.

3. May Reduce Lactate Buildup in Athletes and Help Use Fat for Energy
MCT oil has gained popularity amongst athletes.

During exercise, rising lactate levels can negatively impact exercise performance.

Interestingly, MCTs may help reduce lactate buildup. One study found that athletes who took 6 grams or about 1.5 teaspoons of MCTs with food before cycling had lower lactate levels and found it easier to exercise, compared to those taking LCTs (14Trusted Source).

Furthermore, the study found that taking the MCT oil before exercise may help you use more fat instead of carbs for energy.

Even though MCTs can increase fat burning during exercise, study results are mixed as to whether MCT oil can help you exercise better (15Trusted Source).

One study showed it could improve swimming capacity in mice, but another human-based study found no improvement in endurance performance in runners (16Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source).

At the very least, the results of one animal study suggest that MCT oil does not negatively affect exercise performance, which is encouraging (18Trusted Source).

SUMMARY
MCT oil can increase fat burning and reduce the need for carbs during exercise. However, it is unclear whether this translates to improved exercise performance.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (10-25-2019), Dmom3005 (10-25-2019)