View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Thanks for the post, it helped.

Thanks for the info, it really helped. My GP did not warn me and I found myself dealing with fecal impaction, a very horrible experience. Youtube has some videos on the subject but when it happens to you it's just horrible. To make it short you have to remove the fecal matter with your finger or rush to a hospital. Be prepared, make sure you have enough meds/supplements/enemas to deal with it when and if it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
Okay,

I feel silly posting this since I posted a , and never thought to read the Gabapentin literature to discover constipation occurs in 3.9% of folks. How luck I am being one of the few! Actually, I am more upset with my GI doc and my pain doc who never suggested this unlikely cause. Isn't that THEIR JOB?

As a refresher, I have idiopathic neuropathy of both feet and ankles, and have so far not found a mechanical or metabolic cause. But we'll keep searching...

These days I am on Gabapentin 1800mg/day, which is working well; ramped up over time from 100. 8 months after I hit 1500 mg/day I began with GI problems: reflux, upset stomach, bloating, burping. Now it is worse on 1800. Because I experienced this twice before in my life I immediately saw a GI doc.

I am now on Magnesium oxide and Amitiza to combat the constipation. They are doing well on the bloating but after a moderate sized meal things seem to linger in my GI track for hours with cramping and pressure.

Can folks recommend something else to help manage the constipation?
Goubeen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote