View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 08:13 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamleon75# View Post
Hi, this is my first post.

I had a molar extraction (upper left 15) just over 2 months ago. It was a previously root canaled tooth that could not be saved due to an infection.

Was quite a tough extraction, took 45 mins, broke into pieces and had to be drilled and a root (just over 3mm) was left behind. Since the extraction I've had off an on pain and had treatment for a partial dry socket. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon as soon as I had the extraction done. The surgeon has told me pain was not uncommon 2 months after surgery and it was due to jagged bone and the gums healing and agreed as I had quite a difficult initial extraction this could happen. I have no infection (x-ray taken 3 weeks ago no sign of infection) and no swelling and he said the wound was healing nicely.

My question is should I still be getting this pain? Why would it be hurting if I have no infection? and is it as a result of the retained root or the healing. The surgeon advised I could leave the root or get the it removed. Do you think I should proceed and get the retained root removed and hope this solves the problem, the surgeon did say it was close to my nasal cavity and a neighbouring tooth. Currently taking over the counter pain killers to keep the niggling pain at bay.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help
I would probably get the rest of the root removed just in case it turns into an infection later on. I would go to another oral surgeon for a second opinion.
jenny8484 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote