View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 04:50 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Liamleon,

Sorry you're having dental problems.
Lingering pain is common after a difficult extraction and more often if the tooth had been root canaled previously because the bone and surrounding area had been infected since the initial infection in the tooth. Root canal therapy does not make a tooth or the bone healthy again. The rc procedure is done in an attempt to retain the tooth, not cure the problem.

Regarding the retainment of a piece of the tooth after an extraction .. that is rarely acceptable because depending on where it is, it can move up further into the sinus and/or it will be a constant source of inflammation and bacteria.

The dentist who did the extraction may have inadvertently pushed that piece of tooth pretty far up near or into the sinus cavity trying to retrieve it. Since routine dental xrays are 2 dimensional they can only pick up the location of the tooth remnant that is superficial. If it appears to be near the sinus, then a dental CT scan would help determine the exact location.

Ideally, the tooth remnant should be removed sooner than later before the bone starts to fill in making it more difficult to remove. Also, the longer it's present the more inflammation and bacteria will develop.

Your dentist is at fault for not removing the tooth in it's entirety. He should pay the oral surgery bills, CT scan and surgery to remove it. But if you wait to have it done, he may try to convince you that in spite of the remnant, all was well and something "new" developed.

Taking OTC pain meds daily is toxic to the kidneys and not in your best interest to do long term.

Hope this info is helpful to you and you're able to get it taken care of soon.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamleon75# View Post
Hi, this is my first post.

I had a molar extraction (upper left 15) just over 2 months ago. It was a previously root canaled tooth that could not be saved due to an infection.

Was quite a tough extraction, took 45 mins, broke into pieces and had to be drilled and a root (just over 3mm) was left behind. Since the extraction I've had off an on pain and had treatment for a partial dry socket. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon as soon as I had the extraction done. The surgeon has told me pain was not uncommon 2 months after surgery and it was due to jagged bone and the gums healing and agreed as I had quite a difficult initial extraction this could happen. I have no infection (x-ray taken 3 weeks ago no sign of infection) and no swelling and he said the wound was healing nicely.

My question is should I still be getting this pain? Why would it be hurting if I have no infection? and is it as a result of the retained root or the healing. The surgeon advised I could leave the root or get the it removed. Do you think I should proceed and get the retained root removed and hope this solves the problem, the surgeon did say it was close to my nasal cavity and a neighbouring tooth. Currently taking over the counter pain killers to keep the niggling pain at bay.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote