View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:08 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Changes I made after MP diagnosis and now feeling better

Maybe this will help someone.

(I'm guessing in order of importance - for MY symptoms mentioned below)

• bending over with leg stretched back and out straight
• sleep with knees together - no running type positions keeping upper leg off mattress - not rolling hip forward (thanks to JackyP)
• new mattress - Extra firm with 1.5-inch gel foam pad and synthetic filled puffy mattress pad
• putting socks on without lifting leg - seated
• getting lower half dressed while sitting down
• refraining from bending over in general and no reaching out to pick up something
• leg out straight while sitting, rolling pelvis - slouch - no leaning forward to stare at computer monitor
• keeping hip above leg - when on couch and using coffee table as leg rest
• using stand-up desk at work - alternate sit/stand
• tried to lessen stress - release tension from legs
• careful to twist when sitting
• lose clothing
• one size larger underwear - when heavy side seam in hip then turned inside out
• Vitamin B12
• Vitamin D3
• "Calm" magnesium
• Prilosec - 2 in a.m. - doubt related, but prone to acid reflux

Advil and Tylenol when necessary - depressed from pain and maybe from meds?

Possible mistakes that I made - hot tubs and heating pad, next time ice or try patch

My symptoms:
• Zings/zaps/electric burst feelings when bending over, sitting and sometimes standing - short in duration and usually could stop by moving leg
• burning mainly on top thigh, sometimes closer to knee and sometimes tight feeling on side
• some soreness to lateral femoral cutaneous nerve area
• painful to raise leg to put sock on and bending over in general
• horrible pain for about 4-5 days after stretching - prior to diagnosis when i thought it was muscular - pain in legs, hip/buttock, some back hip
• doesn't hurt to touch as some experience
• no weakness in leg

This time the trigger was running (for about 3 weeks) and I stopped as soon as I felt pain, but it got worse as time went on – thought it was muscle strain, so I waited for it to get better (ha). So far has lasted 4 months, but much improved since the changes noted above – diagnosis was 10 days ago – made changes immediately (90% pain free and mega improvement each day).

I have had this in the past in both legs after cycling and squatting lots, like painting near the floor, gardening, etc. – I always thought it was muscle strain.

I hope my comments help someone. I feel fortunate that I’m not as bad as it sounds like I could be and I also feel fortunate that my doctor diagnosed this in one exam, without a bunch of tests!

Jenny
jenny1234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Frankie321 (08-10-2023), Lara (01-26-2023), Lynz83 (08-23-2020)