View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 10:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Has anyone here overcome Concussion Anxiety Syndrome?

It seems like more than half the posts on this forum at any given time are about concussion anxiety. I constantly see people writing things like "I'm not sure if I hit my head or not," "was this force enough to cause damage," etc.

Concussion Anxiety Syndrome has been something I've been dealing with ever since my first concussion around 5 years ago, and even though I'm essentially symptom-free now, I still at least once a week have one of these OCD episodes where I'm not sure if I got hit, not sure if I caused damage, etc. It's frustrating because my concussion anxiety makes it hard to do basic things with my friends like hugging, going dancing, going ice skating, riding bikes etc because I'm afraid of my head getting hit.

What I'm wondering is if anyone on this forum has truly overcome Concussion Anxiety Syndrome, and what strategies you found effective. I have tried exposure therapy in the form of running and practicing dropping light things on my head (such as a sock or beach ball). However, it feels kind of futile, because I'm always afraid to push it further because I'm afraid of re-injuring myself. Does anyone have other ideas for similar de-sensitization training? It's hard to know how heavy an object to try without having any risk of damage.

Does anyone have further advice for beating this anxiety or have experience overcome it? I want more than anything to be able to live a normal life, and it's so hard when everything I do in the day seems to revolve around not getting hit.
red90 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote