View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 11:35 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Thanks for the response. I’ve definitely had setbacks and such where I’ve felt genuinely awful. For this last incident I definitely felt quite a lot worse then usual after but of course it’s awful hard to tell what could potentially be due to anxiety and lack of sleep and sore neck and such.

I struggle with that also, not knowing how healthy the seeking out of reassurance is. I understand that it’s not the healthiest in helping my obsession but at the same time I mean I want to be safe and I want to build my knowledge on this topic and being able to identify what is damaging and what isn’t so that I can be able to better determine it myself in the future. Like so many things I used to worry about a lot before still happen to me every day but now I have the knowledge to know they are harmless and I don’t think about them anymore. It’s only when I have extreme incidents like a fall or hitting my head rather hard that I really panic a bit and seek out reassurance or information.

Regarding this last incident it’s just tough because it happened in a point in my life where I was doing so much better. Like I said, a couple days before it happened I was working an event all day and even went out at night and got home very late so that had been like a huge accomplishment for me. So to have something like this happen, a big setback/reinjury, it’s just really really crushing. Makes you want to give up, just lock yourself in your room forever and go numb. I also feel like since I live quite an active life these incidents that happen to me are much more extreme then a lot of the stuff many people on here worry about an so that kind of gives me even more anxiety.

Your right though, when I look back there are a lot of incidents I overcame which I didn’t think I’d be able to when they happened. Maybe I should take my advice more and not see these things as terrifying events but rather opportunities to grow stronger or desensitize myself. It’s just saddening when they happen I guess. How are you doing? What’s your advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania View Post
I'm not going to comment on this event because I am not sure whether seeking and receiving reassurance is a healthy pattern for you or not (I had the same tendency and realized it was not good for me, and I have been trying for a long time to cease it), but I hope the following can help. Have you tried reading your own threads in the past, when you were worried about an incident that happened to cause no long-term issues?

I do it with mine from time and time and realize that I have been worried as hell about things that I don't even remember now. It might give you a bit of perspective on your tendency to catastrophize and use very strong and exaggerated statements ("devastated", "my life is over", "mourn the loss of my old self", etc.).

Another thing that strikes me is that your symptoms appear to be mild and vague, as if you were not even sure that you are experiencing them. When I suffered a concussion or even a significant setback I couldn't have written "I've been feeling unwell I guess" or "head a little headachy". Do you remember how you felt after your (genuine) concussion(s)?
BenW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote