View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 02:54 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Thumbs down Meralgia paresthetica - Do I have it? Is it getting better or worse?

I think I have Meralgia paresthetica, caused by pregnancy. My left thigh (outer and top) between my knee and hip is numb. It isn't painful really, but annoying & numb. I can feel heat, but not cold. If i put an ice cube on it I can't feel the cold, but if I set something warm on it, i feel the heat.

It started in week 10 of my pregnancy and it was intermittent numbness, but by week 15 it was numb always. . The best I can describe it is it feels like when your foot falls asleep. By week 20 I'd get random spasms throughout the night too (again, not usually painful, just annoying and uncomfortable). I went to a neurologist and they said it "sounds like" Meralgia paresthetica, it "should" resolve 3 months after delivery. I see then again in January.

I have a few questions / concerns and I'd love any help. Now that I've delivered it feels different. Still numb, but tingly too. Since Meralgia paresthetica can be temporary...is this a sign of it getting better or maybe worse? Do all neurologists know about MP or should I look for one with any designation/specialty? Can I prevent MP from becoming permanent if I do something now? Sleep, posture, vitamins? Are there resources I can read? I had a C section and wearing a tight waist binder is part of recovery... should I avoid that? Any order symptoms I should look for? Any questions I should ask the dr?

Most of all, is this really MP or could it be something else? If so, what? In reading the descriptions here, I'm not in pain, just discomfort so not sure if it is MP. I just fear a progression of whatever it is.
Strawberryltj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote