I am interested in the topic of pre-existing anxiety
and depression and PCS. I was injured in 2009
and still have post concussion symptoms to this
day. I was very upset when doctors began attributing
my symptoms to psychological issues.

I was not anxious or depressed before my injury, but feel that
even if I was I would have the exact same symptoms
that I have today. I think doctors over-emphasize the
psychological and under-emphasize the physical.

I mean you could be the most depressed person in
the world and have vestibular problems, ringing in
the ears, noise/light sensitivity etc., these symptoms
are all directly because of physical injury and not
psychological issues.

I guess from experience I just feel that the anxiety/depression
are secondary from the physical injury and not the other way around.

Your thoughts? Andy

Andy,
I reposted your comment because I cannot follow double spaced posts.

The research does not say that prolonged symptoms are due to pre-existing psych issues. It says that if you have pre-existing psych (anxiety/depression) you have a much higher likelihood of struggling with prolonged symptoms. Of those who suffer from prolonged symptom, the vast majority had a pre-existing anxiety/depression issue.

Those who suffered with just mild anxiety and/or depression will often experience a greatly magnified level of anxiety and/or depression.

Concussions are notorious for greatly magnifying psychological and psychiatric conditions.

I have had light sensitivity for 49 years. I've had sound sensitivity for 18 years. They are due to changes in my brain due to injury.

There is a difference in the symptoms of a person with prolonged symptoms that are just physiological than those who struggle with anxiety.

We are usually better able to use work-arounds and accommodations to move on with life. We may have bad days but we recover and go on. I actually anticipate struggling after some stressful events or tasks. I just plan on time to recover. Our symptoms do not paralyze us.

The anxiety ridden PCS sufferer looks at life as if it is a conspiracy to get them, even if it is just a subconscious attitude. They fear movements and contacts and rebel against their symptoms.

Maybe you need to consider accepting your current symptoms as what to expect for the foreseeable future. Your doctors do not have treatments or cures for them. Only you can reduce how them impact your life. Only your vestibular issues may still be treatable.

I've had tinnitus for most of my life, since 1965 but especially the last 20+ years. My ears are ringing right now at about 65 dB at 1100 hz. Sometimes, it drops to 40 to 50dB. There are online places where I can check frequency and dB.

I've had memory struggles since 1971. They got much worse about 20 years ago. My memory and visual processing issues have been struggles but I move on the best I can. I had serious panic attack like crashes 20 years ago from over-stimulation. Over time, I learned how to moderate stimulation so I do not have brain overloads.

You sounds like you might have a demanding style. I know that style. You want fixes, not excuses. That is not new. Many have the same desires.

Do you let your struggles limit you from moving on with your life?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote