View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 04:32 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

That’s great points thanks. I think for a lot of us when incidents happen we don’t really know how to react or move forward because we have busy lives, responsibilities, school, jobs, etc.

So when something happens we need to know if it’s something we should push through or if it’s something that could be damaging and we should seek medical attention and time off work/school/social life.

So I know for me at least, stuff happens, I’ll slip on icy steps or something and it causes symptoms and my head to get violently jarred. Then my first reaction is panic because I don’t know what to do, I have work the next day or school or a date with a girl or whatever else and I just don’t know that to do, how to move forward. Do I cancel everything? Do I try and push through? Was this new damage to my brain?

That’s why it’s so helpful to get answers on forums like this or at least share my experience. Someone could say ‘yah that sounds concerning, id get checked out and see if you can get some time off’ or else ‘nah that wouldn’t be damaging, just a setback keep pushing’. Those answers help because I know what to do how to move forward and feeling like I have a plan instead of being unsure if I’m doing the right thing.

It sucks that we have to be babied like this but it’s reality. And for those saying i haven’t improved you should see what I used to worry about vs what I worry about now. It’s drastically more intense stuff. When I get confirmation that something isn’t damaging for example, the next time that thing happens I know what to do and I don’t worry about it, at least not nearly as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
If you look at all of the claims of being bumped and having symptoms come roaring back, the vast majority do not even qualify as neck trauma.

Guys, How do you react when you see somebody hit in the groin on TV or even in real life? Often, it is a whole body flinch.

When I see somebody hit in the head on TV or Netflix, I get a visceral reaction almost like an electric shock.

When I am startled, it can take me an hour to settle my body and mind down.

If I bump my head as I often do, I just acknowledge the bump and move on. Sometimes, my brain will sense an impending bump and respond with Ouch, even if I did not make contact.

If somebody asks me about concussion headaches, which I have had many, I will sense a headache until a few minutes after the conversation ends. I have had chronic headaches that lasted 6 to 9 months twice in the last 25 years after a concussion. My brain has memorized that sensation very well.

Every symptom of a concussion can be caused by the brain replaying memories of past symptoms.

Amputees often experience something called phantom limb pain. It feels like their missing limb is in pain. They have no nerves within a foot of where the pain sensation is. The brain has memorized the pain experienced before the amputation and when it is triggered to check on that pain, finds no sensation so it plays the old pain from memory.

The more people play these old memories, the more this phantom concussion symptoms will play. Some call it a flashback. Some say it is PTSD.

I wonder if a therapist skilled with EMDR (Eye Motion Desensitization and Retraining) can help. It helps a lot of trauma victims.

I used to have bad set backs from turning my head from side to side until I realized it was causing neck inflammation. I learned to moderate such movement and my neck developed better stability. It took more than a year to see improvement. How many of you have been disciplined to moderate your lives to help your body and mind heal?

It was no different than me needing to learn better discipline regarding my injured back and shoulder. It took 2 years consistent discipline of not doing things that strained my back and shoulder to see improvement. The physical therapist had been pushing me to hard.

We need to take charge and be our own best healer.
BenW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote