Thread: Hi THERE!
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 10:52 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

i agree that it's taken way too long for the "cure". one problem though is getting enough patients to volunteer for trials and still not being able to identify pd early enough before symptoms appear, i.e., no biomarkers. young pd'ers who still work and have children are likely to avoid the risk of experimental treatments requiringbrain surgery unless there is more certainty that the treatment will work plus the chance you'll get the placebo andhave to wait 1-2 years for results and then undergoing a 2nd operation. plus there is DBS which can be something like a "cure" which must be deterring volunteers.

i monitored the trial in new zealand where they implanted pig brain cells into humans, almost 2 years after phase2 results and there might have been a small benefit. there's been at least 6-7 unsuccessful trials implanting genes, cells, compounds like gdnf, all requiring brain surgery, where phase2 showed no sig. benefit. it looks like implanting genes that make l-dopa into the brain might be the first successful disease modifying treatment, i apologize if i'm wrong on that statement.

i don't object to companies making better versions of old drugs or even new drugs that are longer lasting/less side affects, just object to how expensive they are. and then adding insult to injury having the price go up and shortages of C./L. Having TEVA stop manufacturing C/L was a real loss. The supply chain is getting too dependent on INDIAN mfg's producing most of the C/L we get and raw ingredients coming out of china. Just recently i can get MYLAN 50/200CR after 2 years of being unavailable. I have to wonder how much better we would be if generic mfg's had to prove their product worked as well in pd patients as the brand name rather than just measuring blood levels of the active ingredients in healthy volunteers.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote