View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for sharing all that information.

The area we are talking about in the photo... previously cracked teeth and one tooth root canaled. This tells me that that area of jaw bone was very unhealthy, thus a big reason for the slow healing. Cracked teeth allow bacteria to get in and decay the tooth from the inside out. Root canaled teeth eventually infect the jaw bone. So this area of your mouth was very unhealthy.
It is good that you are moving forward with removal of your infected teeth and taking measures to get your gum disease under control.

If you want to improve your diet it would help to eat none or very little processed or fast foods and more whole foods, fruit, veggies and lean protein. Doing so favorably changes the pH in your saliva and intestinal flora in your gut which directly affect your mouth. A better diet can also work synergistically with the dental work that you are having done for a better overall outcome! Drink plenty of water, up to 1/2 your body weight in ounces, helps to stay well hydrated and keeps the mouth moist lowering the chances of tooth decay.

Some oral hygiene tips to up your game....

*Brushing with an electric toothbrush removes a much higher percentage of plaque compared to a manual toothbrush.
*Use a toothpaste with xylitol, not sugar or tooth whitener.
*Sprinkle a bit of baking soda on the brush on top of the paste.
*Floss with unwaxed floss in every place it will fit. Use other floss in tight areas.
*Use Proxabrush Go Betweens after flossing. They come in a variety of sizes. Yellow and green usually fit everywhere.
*Use a tongue scraper after you brush at night. This eliminates the food build up on the tongue and bad breath!
*Avoid mouthwash, it contains chemicals that decrease the salivary flow predisposing you to tooth decay and it irritates the gum tissue.

Hope these tips help and your future dental work goes well!
Bryanna

, TE=Lisa80;1282795]Thanks Bryanna. These extractions are from mid october. These teeth was cracked pretty bad for a long time and one of them had a root canal treatment many years ago. The deep holes (sockets) took some weeks to start filling after the blood clot disolved (or absorbed).

There were two other extractions a few days earlier, each one of them in other areas of the mouth. The first one was a upper wisdom teeth in the other side of the mouth (not impacted, the extraction was very fast and easy ) that had some cavities and it healed pretty well. I think this area of the mouth was more healthy in general, and I managed to keep the extraction site clean and withouth food near it or my tongue poking in it. The other extraction (the second one) was a first molar in my jaw, in the side of the infected wisdom teeth that is waiting for extraction. This molar was in pretty bad shape for a long time too and is not healed yet although it seems it's a bit better. It looks very similar to the photo although the socket is not so big, the gum near it is more contracted and there are some pink areas. In these three extraction sites I had more problems with food near them and my tongue poking on them

About the other things, I think my diet is not the healthiest and my habits could be better, these past year I'm not exercising too much and I'm many hours sitting on a desk. I'm not smoker neither drinker, but I had untreated gingivitis and periodontitis for many years (I'm now in treatment for this with deep cleanings and my gums are a bit better and I have not mobility in the teeth) and I had many dental cavities too.

I had a very poor oral hygiene these past years and now I regreat it so much! I hope I can recover the health of my mouth, my fear to dental treatment has gone and now I only want to be healthy again.[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lisa80 (01-11-2020), Wren (01-10-2020)