View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default New member with foot fusion

Hello Maria
Approx 15 years ago had my left foot rolled and crushed in auto / pedestrian (I was the pedestrian) slow motion accident, could be called a freak.
A disturbance caused both the driver and myself to look rather than looking to see what was about to happen. Driver did look up in time unfortunately for me, and hit his brakes only to slide over and stop on my rolled foot.
Anyway was fortunately close to my VA hospital, which had students from the surgery dept at UCLA and most important the dept head surgeon.
It took a year and two surgeries for him to put my foot back together, and today its better than my right foot, with minor considerations.

Well the fusion that I'm referring to was the second surgery where they took a piece of bone out of my knee (did not want a pig cadaver) and put it in a major joint with two screws, that I still have.
Most of the other minor joints fused themselves, along with a broken bone and that toe is a bit shorter today.

That guy was a genius and at the end gave him a big hug, which for him a bit embarising, however he got my point. Today am sure would have a limp and pain with another less skilled surgeon.

Advise from others in my ward with much worse bone corrections, go very slow and let yourself heal before going to the next step.
Jerry70 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote