View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Question about Neuropathy and visiting a Neurologist - Newbie Here

So, I am 50, and been a heavy drinker for about 20 years. Generally I drank every night and over time my tolerance got higher and higher which means my consumption increased. It never affected my work or family life, and my blood work was always ok so I never was really concerned about my drinking. I was even able to lose 15 lbs in 2019 without cutting back a drop.

Anyway, about a month ago my feet start tingling and I figured I might be a diabetic and got a blood test. It came back negative. So I did research and I stumbled across Alcohol Neuropathy. Basically I had every symptom they listed, and they basically said over half of heavy drinkers develop this over 10 years.

Naturally, I stopped drinking which turned out to be quite easy after the first week, but the symptoms continue. The tingling stopped but my toes are generally numb. I can move them fine, and can walk fine, but this is annoying. It is especially annoying at night when I seem to notice it much more in bed. It just feels like my feet are asleep even though when I wake up at 3am to use the bathroom I can walk fine.

It sounds like this is a lifetime deal. Couple questions, do the symptoms reduce at all, AND do you ever get used to this?

Also, my wife insists I visit a Neurologist, which I scheduled for February. What do they test for? It sounds like there is really no test, it more is describing your symptoms and they issue a diagnosis. What is that appointment like?

Thanks for your help
SalesGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote