Thread: Hi THERE!
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default a few things to go over

i have the "rigid" type of PD, ie., not to much shaking, but moving is very difficult at times. my major complaints about PD are not as debilitating as a lot of "shakers" have, just different. i learned after 10 yeras that i was not going to die because of PD buttinstead I'll die with PD. This is an important aspect of of our disease because many people find that during the first few years after dx, that they are depressed and morose because of all thar they have lost and are losing, jobs, careers, mates and a whole lot of other things that "defined who they are". The first medications may make things worse, but going on sinemet is not a "horrible alternative. even after 22 years it still works for me because i don't take the dose that my neuro suggests. You must find the proper meds and dosing regimen to treat your PD by yourself, and not always just have blind faith in your neuro, and don' take any s--t from them, If a certain agonist is messing with your psyche, STOP taking it and try something else L-dopa is still the "gold standard" for allieviating some of the symptoms if PD, it works fantastically foir most, but quickly becomes intolerable or loses it's effect. for.. Remember to forget that you even have PD, do your best to not let it ruin the rest of your life. Personally .I lost my family, my job. my friends) frombeing overly depressed and angry with this disease. Exercise is key to help and keep fit, but overdoing it will show up the next day, but can Put you in bed" the next day, in other words , vigorous excerise is not for allll of iu. eventually you will get to the stage where you might have chronic pain, bad dyskinesia and dystonia,, or gait problems, where you just can't stop falling; when you get to this state, excercise may be cotraindicated, but always at least TRY to keep moving or you may get worse, quicker. Protein meals will often nullify any "on" state that you may be in because the blood becomes saturated with all the amino acids form protein digestion , and they will compete with each other for brain uptake, and thus lower the absorption of any amount of sinemet that is currently in your bloodstream. for people who have been on sinemet for a long time, this may lead to a rapid, intense "off". when i have an intense "off" period, I have to watch closely what i am doing. I have "fallen" into tight spaces and because of muscle flaccidity. i can barely extricate myself from the awkward position i am in.A few times i have lost most muscular control and was in a dangerous spot with sharp things sticking into some part of my body, giving intense pain and tissue damage, so try to make the environment around you as safe as possible to avoid these events fom happening.
Sometimes we need to be "on" for a doctor or other appointment and take too much sinemet. THis lowers blood pressure and you can almost, or do pass out. I term this the "deathies" because you think that you are dying, it is quite scary, so just take it easy afterward, if you are prone to this kind of event. Since PD is slightly or significantly different for every one of us, I can only relate my experience, and as you read this yoiu may be thinking that i am not relating too your experiences well. Just remember that i have had PD for a long time now, and PD changes with age and relative physical condition. Once you can accept your limitations,, and get your meds right, you WILL have good days and bad ones. WE are like candles in the wind, sometimes burning brightly, and other times blown out. All of this not a comprehensive post,all has been said before, i just don't want anybody who missed ceratain things (especially those who are new to pd, from making some of the mistakes that many of know so well). Again. i implore you to use your "honeymoon" period well and not to "blow it" with your important relationships, try and be nice, even if yopu feel like S--t. That's all i gotta say
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeffreyn (01-21-2020), johnt (01-21-2020), made it up (01-22-2020), soccertese (01-31-2020)