View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hanna,

Were you informed that you have the same dental problem occurring on the other side of your upper jaw in your root canaled second pre molar? The rc filling material was pushed through the root of that tooth also. How long ago was that rc done? You also have an impacted wisdom tooth in that quadrant, similar to the one you recently had removed on the other side. In fact, the wisdom teeth are almost a mirror image of each other.

You have very large sinuses. Which could be normal for you and/or that could indicate generalized sinus inflammation. Do you a history of allergies, sinus congestion, post nasal drip, colds, or infections?

Anytime you have a root canaled tooth, you will have inflammation, chronic bacteria within the dentin tubules of the tooth and some degree of ischemia in the surrounding areas, there are no exceptions to that. With upper teeth, and in your case having large sinuses, the roots of your posterior teeth are in very close proximity to the floor of your sinus. So any tooth problems in your upper arch are likely to cause symptoms in possibly the sinus, maxillary bone, palate, ears, etc.

It is never ideal to retain any amount of rc dental materials that were pushed up beyond the apex of the tooth during a root canal procedure. That material will be a constant irritant and source for bacterial growth.

The previous dental ct scan, if it included the right side of your head can help determine the location of the rc material pushed through that present rc tooth. Your dentist may try to convince you to have an apicoectomy surgery to remove that material while leaving the tooth in your head. That surgery may or may not remove all of the material as visual access will be difficult. However, that surgery will likely increase the inflammation associated with the rc tooth itself and ultimately the tooth will need to be extracted. Ideally, if you extract that tooth, the surgeon can use that access wound to remove the remnants of rc material.

A new panoramic xray may be diagnostic enough or a dental ct scan of your entire upper arch would show the location of the rc material in the left side (post extraction) and the rc material in the right side above that rc tooth. So the oral surgeon wouldn't be guessing where it is.

The burning sensation crossing over your palate from your left to your right could be what is called referred pain. This is when the bundles of irritated nerves communicate with each other. In your case, you have 2 areas of nerve irritation, one on each side of your mouth.

Regarding the ER visit with your breathing episode.... could be GERD but could also be anxiety induced GERD or a vagus nerve reaction to stress induced anxiety.

I hope your oral surgeon is willing to discuss this with you thoroughly enough to help you make an informed decision.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Oli View Post
Heres the ponoramic xray that has been taken before the tooth #15 and #16 extraction.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote