Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren2175 View Post
Hi

My first post here on the site.

Had my last shunt inserted 7 years ago and have had daily severe abdominal pain everyday since then. Have had lots of scans and x-ray's all of which said everything was okay. Been to a pain clinic for 2 years and tried everything going. Even had my nerves cauterized (not sure if this is the right description of what the procedure was but it was something like this.

My neuro left me with the decision as to whether or not I want more surgery to try and alleviate the problem but said that there was a high chance I could be left in more pain. The last operation I had they made mistake and instead of removing some shunt tubing they actually extended it and it now runs down one side of my body and across my stomach to the other side. I have multiple pain points across my abdomen.

My reason for posting today is that I'm looking for any advice from anyone that may have/had similar issues. I'm thinking I have reached a point where I'm going to opt for surgery again in the hope of alleviating these issues.

I can't sleep well, can't eat a lot and generally can't do much without the pain interrupting my life! I asked for a VA shunt (the same as I had for 26 years with no issues) and the neuro said he doesn't like doing them in adults. Not sure if this is something I can insist or not?

Thanks for reading my long post.

Darren
I have pelvic pain and abdominal pain following a shunt replacement and a suprapubuc Cath.

In July I had a them look around inside with a camera.. they removed some scar tissue, but the pain largely didn’t change- except for severe pain on the lower right side before gm.
Charleskeffin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote