View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Anyone know how use of the drug finasteride might impact someone with pcs?

I’m a 20 year old male with pcs from a reckless crazy child and years of contact sports.

A dermatologist diagnosed me with hair loss, he said mainly from stress. He prescribed me finasteride/propecia if I wanted to keep my hair.

After doing a bit of research it seems like the drug blocks 5alpha reductase type 2 and as a byproduct, 70% of dht in the body, the male hormone responsible for hair loss. The drug is a bit controversial, on the one hand millions of men take it, on the other hand, there’s a vocal minority of people who got horrible side effects from it, some which continued after stopping the drug.

I felt like perhaps the risk was worth it and I’d most likely be fine but then I saw a preliminary study which suggested finasteride depletes neurosteroids and that’s not too good for your brain. I’m not really sure how reputable this is though.

Does anyone here take the drug or have any knowledge on it and how it could affect someone with pcs and mental health or a not completely healthy brain?

What are your thoughts on use of this drug?

How important are dht and such for health of the brain and body?

Thanks for any responses
BenW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote