View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 08:54 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Career Path Dilemma

Hello everyone, it has been years since I have posted on here, but an issue that has been building over the last year has started to get to me more and more. My job as a project manager is known to be stressful. There is also the general expectation that one works as the job demands, sometimes 40 hours and other times 70 hours a week. I have built up a lot of stamina, and can handle a 60 hour week, but a 60 hour week of stressful work is another story. It seems that over the past two years my job has worn on me, and now I am left wondering what to do having no interest in a job that is not good for my health and that I spent four years going to school for. I have practiced stress management and keeping a good work/home balance, but some aspects of a job cannot be ignored it seems.

I had always thought in college before my injury that if I ever got sick of a stressful office job I would get a "real" job in construction again working hands-on, but now that is really not an option either due to the risks and my sometimes unpredictable PCS symptoms. I truly loved getting out and working hard though.

I was wondering if anyone else had been put into this position? My soon-to-be fiance has two more years of grad school, so for now I'm the breadwinner. I would like to put together a long term solution, hopefully with some good input from some who have been in a similar situation. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer advice.
ConcussedEngineer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote