Thread: sleep hygiene?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

I swear I replied to this. Maybe it was another similar thread. Anyway, my doctor gave me a whole list of things to improve sleep. I knew most or all of them already so you can probably Google for your own list. I'll name a few though.

Ones that work for me
-stop using electronic devices (tablets, cellphones...) for at least an hour before bed. (a quick peek is ok, as I use my phone to set my alarm and that seems fine).
-darken the room and quiet the home. sometimes I can still sleep with light and sound though
-have a set bed and waketime, at least with only a few hours (no more than 2) every night.
-use a lavendar scented diffuser (is that what it's called?) it helps with relaxation
-do some light yoga like an hour or even 30 minutes before bed.
-have a regular exercise routine with weight training.

Things that don't work for me
-limiting all computer useage. I find that checking my sites and/or engaging in some light conversation helps put me in a relaxed mood.
-eating like 3-4 hours before bed. while i don't want a full belly, i can't sleep if I'm hungry.
-??

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about the strict bedtime rules your hubby has for you to follow. Sometimes mine has certain requirements, like if he has a bad headache, all the tvs and lights (well most lights) need to be off. This is more rare though. The common one is that when it's time for him to go to bed, the bedroom light must be out as well as the bedroom tv. And on a few occasions, he'll require that I help put him to sleep. I have to stay with him until he falls asleep or else he can't sleep. This one I can totally relate to though because generally speaking, that's my requirement. No lights, no noise, and him by my side. Unfortunately, he sometimes has to work from home and late at night or early in the morning. This always wakes me up, but usually I can go back to sleep now. It's when he's working or on the phone and I'm TRYing to sleep, that I struggle.

*hugs
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-25-2020), Mari (02-27-2020), mymorgy (02-26-2020), pink kitty (02-26-2020)