View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 12:13 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Allweknowiskyle,

Did you already have the post operative check up with the dentist who extracted the tooth? If so, what did they say about the tender surgical wounds? If you haven't had that appointment, it would be wise to schedule one as soon as possible.

What have you been using to rinse your mouth with? Salt water? Mouthwash?
The only appropriate thing to rinse with post surgically is warm salt water... using 1/4 teaspoon of salt to 4 ounces of warm water a few times a day.
Mouthwash typically contains harsh ingredients which irritate the oral tissue and lead to a reduction in saliva which causes tooth decay and irritated gum tissue.

Tender surgical sites can be due to a number of things.
1) Build up of plaque or impacted food debris.
2) Infection.
3) The development of oral ulcers.
4)Poor diet and/or eating hard or spicy foods in that area.
5) Smoking or drinking alcohol will irritate the wounds.

It is NEVER a good idea to put any essential oil on an oral surgical wound. Most of the oils can burn the tissue and would need to be heavily diluted before applying. However, the wisest thing to do is to have the area evaluated for a proper diagnosis before you attempt to self treat in any way.

Hope this info is helpful to you..
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allweknowiskyle View Post
I had an extraction two weeks ago due to an infected abscessed tooth. Two days ago after eating I noticed that the gums where the tooth was are noticeably tender when touched by anything. I hadn’t noticed this until now and wondering how normal this is.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (02-28-2020), Wren (02-27-2020)