View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 07:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by agate View Post
Hi,
I had the Zostavax vaccine around 2010 too. I haven't had shingles but understand it can be very painful and serious, even affecting vision at times.

So I've discussed getting the newer Shingrix vaccine with my doctor. It needs to be given in two doses and can have fairly severe side effects.

I've postponed getting the Shingrix because of the side effects but I have MS and want to avoid anything that might cause a fever. Ordinary routine flu shots every year sometimes are a problem for me, and my doctor pointed out that the Zostavax is already providing me with some protection. She'd like to have me get the newer vaccine though.

I'm sorry I don't know if peripheral neuropathy will be made worse by getting the Shingrix vaccine.
Good Morning Agate,

Neuropathy is a disease of the peripheral nerves which causes burning zaps of pain in my legs and feet. It's getting worse as I'm getting older. Like MS, there is no cure. Any kind of surgery or even some types of shots will exacerbate the burning pain sensations.

After reading your post, I have decided not to have the shingles vaccine. I've already had shingles years ago plus the Zostavax vaccine twice, the last one being in 2010. I was only 30 when I contracted shingles fifty years ago. The dermatologist smiled and told me I had the disease of an elderly person. He gave me a shot and told me the little blisters would turn black within a week then disappear, and I would never have shingles again. That's exactly what happened so I think I'll just believe what he said and forego the Shingrix vaccine. I only wish I knew what he gave me. I was too young then to even think I would ever be an elderly person!

I'm sorry for what you're going through with MS, and I pray you have more good days than not.

It ain't what it's gonna' b
e...

It is what it is!...
Rosie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (03-06-2020)