View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 07:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Experiences

Shellie,

I am 4 months post-op now so fortunately (or unfortunately) alot of this is still fresh in my head. I too was in a car accident which may have lead to TOS but no one is 100% positive on that. I had done PT after my accident and then for close to a year before surgery...my problems started out as numbness in my 4th and 5th finger and grew into the intense pain I was in (from finger tip to the base of my shoulder blade) at the time of surgery.

I have a rib resection done in late March of this year (right side). They removed the entire rib (which as Victoria has mentioned is very important) through a clavicle approach. I spent two nights in the hospital (issues with my diaphragm) and was sent home on multiple pain meds. I had been off work for nearly two months prior to surgery and am still off work today. My doctor (GP) did not think I would return to work for 6-9 months after surgery

Pain was bad - I won't lie. I had problems lying down but solved that by using a wedge pillow...I lived with heat and ice packs...and basically lied in bed for weeks. It was over a month before I felt comfortable enough to drive and even now I am good for about an hour as a driver in the car. I bought a chair to sit in in the shower which made life a lot easier to shower and wash my hair...I still don't ever dry my hair, as that makes the pain worse.

I started physio about 8 weeks post-op and am still going 3x a week plus 2 massage appts a week. That east up time but is crucial. I have known my PT for about 15 years and I trust her...so far we are in agreement about my treatment and I haven't been pushed too hard there.

My pain is still there and pretty intense at times...don't give up and don't do too much. Ask for help...thats sooo important! I still limit computer time to about 1/2 hour and I find I don't sit still for long. I have learned everyone is different...I question every medical professional I meet about their experiences with TOS patients (many have none!)

I just got back from the beach...it was relaxing...I was cautioned against sun on the scar (and I will admit I can be bad as listening)...at the end of the day NOW I am sore...not sure how I would have felt a month out of surgery. Trust your body!

Take care...and good luck. Feel free to ask any questions!
JAMY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote