View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 03:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default going through cancer treatment with gMG

All,
I was diagnosed with MG in 2013, had a thymectomy and was stable on mestinon, prednisone and mycophenolat for about 5 years. I could work and live a normal life. I was sometimes fatigued but I could 'live around' those periods of time.

About 5 years ago, the MG got a bit worse and my doctor defined it as gMG. I could work part time and my employer was just great about accommodating times of fatigue. For the past year or so, I have been on Soliris and that has helped.

Last fall I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) and went through surgery and radiation procedures. MCC is a rare cancer with a frequency similar to MG. I am now 'in remission' with cancer but the radiation treatments were very tough for me as radiation alone causes fatigue. I spend a significant amount of time in bed. It seems to be getting better but I can't work and am on long term disability from a private insurance company. The private insurance company is telling me that I must apply for SSDI for my benefits to continue.

The reason I'm writing this is to ask if there are others out there with MG who have been through the SSDI process successfully. Is there anything I should know about the process? Does the Social Security Department know how to properly respond to someone with gMG?

I would greatly prefer working for my income but at this time that is simply impossible. My employer said I can return to work, even part time, if/when I am able. I will do that if/when I can.

I send prayers to everyone suffering with MG. I have lived a fun and high quality life for most of the 7 years since my diagnosis but having two rare diseases has knocked me down for the time being.

Regards,
gr8ful
gr8ful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-18-2020)