View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 10:09 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hey Atlas,

Please don't despair! I'm sure Mark or someone who knows more than me will comment, but a lot of people on here have symptom recurrances from low-force events or other stimuli. These symptoms can be very, very real and feel very similar to initial concussion symptoms, but they are not concussions. To get a concussion, you need to have enough force to physically stretch the nerve cells in your brain enough to open mechanical gates that allow an energy crisis to occur. From what i understand, this really does take a lot of force, even if you've had previous injuries. You aren't causing yourself permanent brain damage, and once you figure out what's causing these symptom recurrences, you'll likely be able to treat it and get better.

So what causes these very real symptoms, then?
It seems there can be a variety of causes. The three most common seem to be:
1) Anxiety attacks (I think this is a fight-or-flight response thing as a reaction to worrying about hitting your head...people on here talk about getting this)
2) A subtle unresolved neck injury (Mark and others can comment on this, as I've never dealt with it, but it can really mess with people)
3) A migraine attack (these can have broader and longer-lasting effects than most people realize)

Sometimes there is a combination of things going on (ie anxiety can trigger a migraine attack, your neck injury may be causing you distress and anxiety that is making things worse, etc.)

Hopefully that's someone helpful. I just want you to know you are absolutely not getting brain damage. Try to see a better neurologist if you're not getting the help you need.

Best of luck,
BW
BurritoWarrier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atlas (04-10-2020), LostSoul88 (04-10-2020)