View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 11:57 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

I don't know if I'm able to post links or not, but i will try below. It's very old, but the way the user "Klaus" had described this symptom was really similar to the way I had experienced it, and I think it helped me a lot early on to read through the way he wrote about his experience (even though he never got to the point of finding answers). It might be helpful to read through.

Sensitive to jolting - information?

There is a lot of talk about anxiety on this forum (probably because a lot of people have it, and I known a lot of people have some fear of hitting their head and stuff, which I can understand is unhealthy), but this particular symptom is different. It particularly terrible because it, understandably, can CAUSE the patient a lot of anxiety because it is just so disturbing (as a lot of vestibular symptoms are), which can then make it seem to a run-of-the-mill doctor or people on an online forum that the person is having these symptoms AS A RESULT of an anxiety attack, which is just not necessarily the case.

It can be really disheartening, when you get to the point where you've lived with this symptom for a number of years, through happy times and sad times, etc. to be told it's an anxiety attack. Wouldn't it be get worse when I'm stressed? Wouldn't it go away when I'm happy? What about the headaches? Why does all motion seem amplified? How could I imagine that for 4 years when I never expected that symptom and I'm not an overly anxious person? To me it seemed like being told I had imagined the time my hip broke because of anxiety. It felt the same level of real.

To finally get a real diagnosis and understand the mechanisms of what was really going on was incredibly freeing for me. I stopped really needing the CBT that had been prescribed to me. Ironically, I realized that the main reason I needed it was to cope with the fact that some of my doctors were telling me I wasn't getting better because I had an anxiety problem. I had been spending all of my sessions venting about that.

I guess I'm sharing this so that folks know just how damaging it can be to be told a symptom is the result of anxiety when it actually isn't, ESPECIALLY this symptom, if the user is really going through what I went through. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. And being told that can actually have the opposite of the desired effect and increase anxiety because now you're not sure how the hell you are ever supposed to figure out how to get better.
BurritoWarrier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brainbusta (04-19-2021), LostSoul88 (04-12-2020)