View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 11:48 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

First off, I just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Obviously my curiosity about reactions to the rabies vaccine brought me here, and there is some comfort in knowing that, sadly, others have experienced similar things.

I sustained a very minor bite by a friendly neighborhood cat that I had seen and interacted with a few times. I think it's either an indoor/outdoor cat or maybe recently abandoned. The night of the bite it laid down on my foot and gave me what I would call a "love bite" just above my ankle. That startled me, so I jerked my leg away and the skin was slightly broken in two spots. No puncture, no subsequent infection, all good, right? Well, I only saw the cat once more after that, the next day. I never considered rabies, but got nervous after talking to some friends, and failing to track down the animal or an owner after trying for a few days. Multiple searches for "rabies symptoms" and "rabies incubation period" likely did not help.

Talked to my PCP who recommended I call the county health dept. Since the cat hadn't been seen for a few days they recommended I start rabies treatment while animal control set up a trap. Went in that day for the HRIG, rabies vaccine day 0 and a tetanus shot. The HRIG was way more painful than the actual injury. Not a lot of space down there around the ankle, but they got all of the HRIG in.

Received the day 3 vaccine this past week and day 7 is early next week.

The day I started the treatment was pretty rough, as was the day after. Headache, tiredness, etc. Probably due to stress and lack of sleep as well.

I've had calf twitches (in both calves actually) on and off all week, some numbness on the outside of the leg where the bite occurred and pins & needles type feeling in my foot. The area of the actual bite hasn't really bothered me, and it's healed now. Of course the first things my mind went to were A) I waited too long and B) the vaccine has failed. It's probably too soon to really know either of those things so hopefully what I'm currently experiencing is all I get. The alternative is, uh, not great, haha.

Again, thank you to all who have posted, and be safe out there!
Felis Biteus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote