View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 08:03 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Brain injury recovery

I am actually on this forum for a different reason, but this caught my eye, I thought I would relay the experience of someone I know who had a 'mild' traumatic brain injury.

I was a brain injury support worker in UK and the role primarily involved being a support worker for people who have suffered from brain injuries. Helping them with things like shopping and organisation.

I had a client who fell and hit her head and suffered a mild TBI, she had many cognitive issues like fatigue, inability to multitask, feeling overwhelmed and what she described as a 'certain number of tokens a day that would run out' and leave her with no energy. Some days she would find it difficult to hold a conversation.

She was desperate and we looked into options, one of which was HBOT. We found a paper from Dr Efrati in Israel and we actually contacted him. She decided to do HBOT in the UK at an MS charity and had 60 sessions (4 times a week). It was at session 40 that she started to feel better. She was actually going to drop out at about session 24 but I encouraged her to continue since she had started it.

This was nearly a year ago. She has made an almost full recovery and described her self as 97% better compared to pre-hbot. I must admit although I was hopeful for the treatment for her I was also trying to limit expectations in case it didn't work. It shocked me that it worked so well, at the time she started she was 18 months post her TBI so its unlikely it was the natural recovery that happens in the first 6/12 months.

This by no means means that it will work for everyone, but this is something I have seen with my own eyes. We are still friends to this day and I speak to her periodically. She has returned to work and has pretty much put the brain injury behind her.

I have no interest in promoting HBOT, I am just relaying a story that has been my experience, If that could help just one person then I hope it does.
Silence56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susie1 (06-17-2020)