View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 12:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Has anyone tried the hyaluronic acid injections in your knee? I'm considering it as a way to hold off on surgery for a bit.
Yes, I have been getting them for about a dozen years. I get them every 6 months as that is what most insurance companies will pay for.

There are many brands of this product. I use EUFLEXXA, a laboratory produced injectable. SYNVISC is another very popular brand of this. The form found in Synvisc is made from gelatinous substances derived from chicken (rooster) combs. I have tried them both and have better results with Euflexxa. It is a series of 3 shots, one a week for 3 weeks. I feel the most relief about 3 weeks after the final injection; takes a while to lubricate the joint and reduce inflammation.

While these injections have been shown to provide relief for mild to moderate knee degeneration, it probably will not provide as much relief to you when you have severe degeneration, which I am approaching.

I also had stem cell and plasma rich platelet procedures about 14 months ago. This gave me approximately a 25% improvement so helped some, but not a lot and these procedures were completely "out of pocket" for payment, insurance not on board for most procedures which are considered regenerative.

Last edited by birchlake; 06-18-2020 at 06:46 AM.
birchlake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote