View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Positive Lyme

For some reason Lyme disease is the piriah of the medical system. I too, was bitten in 1994 and now have small fiber neuropathy which is very disabling. I have had many oral antibiotics over this period of time and to be honest, I don't think that it has provided me any relief. Some antibiotic regimens cause neuropathy, so, be careful with any one hawking treatment.

I don't think that they really know what the Bb organism is capable of. When researching Lyme disease you will find much more medical information if you research Borrelia Burgdorferi.

I know I had a tick bite, I got a classic EM and had a physician diagnose me. They drew blood and my titer was rising, but due to oral antibiotics 20 days worth of amox, my titer stopped climbing, which is what usually happens. I test negative now except with Igenex labs. Most facilities will not accept Igenex results. I am not sure why.

I can't say for sure if my Bb infection caused my current problems, but it isn't an answer for anyone. You generally get some oral antibiotics and a pat on the head. Lyme is not a fashionable disease to treat, and for some doctors it is down right career suicide.

I wish I had pursued aggressive IV treatment when I got the Lyme back in 1994 but I bought the line that the oral was enough. I do not believe in long term IV treatment. Their doesn't seem to be much benefit and people expose themselves to serious risk with PICC lines and heavy doses of meds. I do not believe in long term antibiotic treatment as it leads to poor absorption of nutrients from the intestines and there are many side effects. I do believe that the disease needs more research. I do not think they know enough about this organism which has dozens of other states such as blebs and cysts.

I will caution you about Flagyl or Metronidazole for treatment of 'cyst form' of Bb. It can cause neuropathy and you don't want that. Getting a diagnosis of Lyme disease is like opening a can of worms and many practioners will give it no credence whatsoever.

Also, a positive titer simply means you have produced antibodies to the germ. It does not mean the germ is active. You should have positive antibodies to any germ you had vaccinations for and any disease you have had. If you had a Hepatitis B vaccine you should have a positive titer and that is not treated. A positive titer of Bb does not mean you have active disease. Unfortunately, they really do not define what active Lyme disease is. If they can culture a live organism you are in luck. If not, you are called a post lyme, which doesn't get you much.

That said, varicella, or 'chicken pox' can live in your nerves and emerge 20 years later to produce shingles....medicine is not as knowledgeable as people think.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote