View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 07:24 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default New Member Terrified Of Small Fiber Neuropathy

Hello,

I'm a new member (48/m) and I'm concerned I may have small fiber neuropathy. For that past year I've had sensations that started in the backs of my calved and inner thighs by my knees. It then spread to burning sensations in the forearms and (occasionally) my back (usually my neck) Very occasionally, I'll get some tingling in my toes. Also, I occasionally get muscle twitching (mostly in my legs)

Throughout this process I've learned that I am a hypochondriac. When I first felt the sensations, I hit Dr Google and became convinced I had MS. Ended up going to 2 neurologists who found nothing wrong from a neurological exam and also had imaging of my brain and entire spine; the results were all negative with the exception of some significant spinal stenosis in cervical and lumbar spins and a moderate bulging disk in my lower back.

I've also had a EMG and nerve conductivity tests on my legs and arms and the only thing that showed up was nerve damage in my hands from carpel tunnel.

To rule out autoimmune, I've had ANA and RPR tests (both negative) Also, no B-12 deficiency and no diabetes (or pre diabetes)

I was pretty much resigned to the fact that my symptoms were a combination of back and anxiety as my anxiety has been in overdrive for a year while I've had these symptoms. I had a chat with a doctor who assured me (once again) that I didn't have MS but indicated that small fiber neuropathy was a possibility. He threw that out there to relieve me as he indicated it was not a serious condition, did not cause deterioration and could be managed by medication.

Of course, I did my own research (hypochondriacs are fantastic in doing medical research) and found that small fiber neuropathy was way more debilitating than he indicated. So that has terrified me.

I am going to see a neurologist (again) and push for a punch biopsy but, in the interim, I've got a few questions:

1) Do my symptoms seem to be typical of small fiber neuropathy ? I know that anxiety can cause these exact symptoms.

2) How often does small fiber neuropathy progress ? My symptoms right now are easily manageable without any medication. It's the possibility of degeneration that terrifies me.

Thanks so much in advance for any information provided !
ecb1171 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote