View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 04:46 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Sudden and long-term high blood pressure after concussion?

Hello everyone. My first head injury occurred around 2017, when I fell and hit my had on the ice. Right after, I felt pretty dizzy and nauseous. I'm pretty sure it was a concussion, as I developed symptoms like light sensitivity. I had some issues, but I'd say that I mostly recovered from that injury. However, my troubles really started, or at least got much worse, with the second one.

I fell on ice again, but this time on my buttocks, during a day a little more than a year ago, and that night started to experience concussion-like symptoms. It's hard to describe, but I couldn't concentrate on my work, my head felt like it was in some kind of fog, and had trouble falling asleep that night. The following days, I was dizzy had headaches, was nauseous, and could barely concentrate on anything. So I stayed home for some time and did some physical therapy to work on the vestibular issues I was having (which did help for some time at least). The acute symptoms were getting better, but like many on this forum, I was having problem with sudden movements of the head and neck especially; in the beginning, when I walked, every time I took a step, I would feel some kind of pain/stress in my head/neck area like it was super sensitive. Any quick movement of my head and neck, and I would get the same symptoms that I experienced on the first night of my injury. My anxiety and general mental health got worse after the injury (probably because of a mix of the injury itself and of the symptoms it caused), so that may play a role in these issues that I still have today, although they have definitely gotten better. I also got very sensitive to noise (even today), such as a relatively large object falling to the floor and making a loud sound.

I did think it was weird that I got a concussion from falling and not even hitting my head, but it seems to be the closest thing to describing my injury (and from what I understand you are more vulnerable to concussions after already having one). One doctor I met with did think that I didn't hurt my head, but I actually injured my neck. I've recently been working with a chiropractor on some of my issues in that area.

I also noticed that every time I went to a doctor's office after my injury, my blood pressure was high, while before I was in the normal range. I've also checked it at home and it has been high, so it's not just because I'm nervous when at the doctor's, e.g. This has persisted, more than a year after the incident. I know that blood pressure can increase shortly after a head injury, but I wasn't able to find anything in the literature on long-term increases in blood pressure. I was thus wondering if anybody here had a long-term increase in their blood pressure after a concussion. If so, I'd be interested in knowing if they figured out the cause of this phenomenon, and if yes, and what the cause was.

I am currently thinking about potential hormonal causes, maybe related to hypopituitarism that can develop after head injuries. Perhaps some sort of autonomic nervous system dysfunction? Maybe these ideas are too far-fetched, but the lack of a concrete cause for the hypertension naturally makes me think about various hypotheses.

I should also mention that a few months after the fall, I started developing numbness and tingling in the arms and legs, as well as some pains. I probably had some nerve issues also that might have developed after the accident, potentially because of some pressure from misplaced bones and/or muscles around my neck area. I am currently working on that with my chiropractor.

I left out some details that I felt weren't too important so as to not make my post too long, so definitely feel free to ask me questions about anything. I also had an MRI of my head and neck done, and they were both fine.
Digamma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote