View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Atypical pain in root canal tooth

I have been struggling with unidentified tooth/facial pain for almost a year.

In August 2019, I had a deep filling done on my second upper tooth. The tooth hurt for a week or so, and then calmed down.

In October 2019, the tooth flared up again. It started reacting strangely to very hot drinks. However, all tests for pulpitis came back negative. It did not react to cold, the X-rays and CT scans were fine.

It’s just that I had this on and off going pain, like feeling cold and hot in my tooth without any external contact, sometimes it was just dull pain.

I was almost decided to give it time and wait for it to calm, however, my dentist suggested to change filling material because it might cause such issues. Unfortunately, they drilled too far and now I had to do root canal. This was very traumatic to me, I really broke down after that. My only comfort was that maybe root canal would finally rid me of this pain. Alas, it was not to be. Here I am, 8 months later, and the pain is still here. I would even say that it has become a little worse.

I can eat/drink only slightly warm food, anything else provokes the pain. Sometimes, hot shower starts the pain too. I noticed that being on sun and warming my cheek also starts this pain!

The pain is not constant. Sometimes it starts with some external stimulus (like hot shower or food), sometimes it’s just here.

It feels.. strange. Sometimes it’s throbbing, sometimes it’s burning somewhere deep in the tooth & gum. Sometimes it feels just like deep nerve pain, than comes and goes in waves. Sometimes it’s shooting into nearby teeth. Sometimes my face also hurts, under my nose and inside it (like tickling), under my eye.

In March 2020, I had done a CT scan and had been to two endodontist. They looked very carefully at the pictures, but did not find any source of the pain. No signs of missed canals, nothing.

They suggested a visit to neurologist, but then the epidemics broke out and here I am, stuck at home, with undiagnosed pain condition.

Maybe anyone has experienced something similar? What was your solution? I would be glad to receive any feedback.
juliassun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote