View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 05:24 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Need help possibly Switching from SSI to SSD

Hope I'm not posting in the wrong place but if I am please direct me to the right place to post this question.
I'm currently receiving SSI (supplemental social security income). I was told when I received my SSI that I could switch to my social security when it was available but I don't think that's possible until I'm 62 which will be in a little over a year from now.
I'll be receiving some inheritance in a month or so and it threatens to knock me off my SSI. Its not the small monthly check that I'm concerned about losing, its the health insurance I'm worried about as I'm in very poor health. I've been told that I will not receive a very large check if I take my social security at 62 but again its just the health insurance I'm concerned about receiving.
Is it possible to stretch out my ssi until I'm 62 and try to switch over to disabled social security by stating I'd like to come off my ssi to see if I can make it without ssi for a year or so then if I cant make it try to switch to disabled social security or is this even possible.
I'm sure this sounds like a foolish post. It's just that I have nowhere to turn as I did go to an attorney for help and the attorney seemed way more interested in digging into the inheritance by trying to write a 2 or 3 thousand dollar blank check for legal work that didn't have anything to do with my disability what so ever. I couldn't direct the attorneys attention towards my disability not in anyway at all. So I had no choice but to just leave.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Happytobehere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote