View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 12:23 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

William, I have only just found this site, so maybe your sister has gotten the help she needs by now. But if not, here’s my reply to your cry for help.
I have a stimulator. It is the third one for me. The first had a problem with kinks in the leads and so I needed a new one. The second didn’t work, for reasons no one can figure out. This third one is helping.
I was required to go through the psych exam each time.
My general impression was that they are looking for mentally stable patients. Insurance companies don’t like to pay for this (it is very, very expensive) if they feel the patient might jump off a high bridge in the near future.
I was basically honest, but I did not say that I had been or was depressed. I have never been on meds for depression so I kept my attitude happy, even though I felt like I had a hot poker drilling into my lower back and sending pain down my right leg.
I’m pretty sure my desperation wasn’t evident. They needed to know that I wasn’t expecting a 100% cure. I told them that I was hoping to be able to lead a fairly normal life. Well, at least more normal than it had been to date.
My claim of a stable home life and since I am single, the ability to be independent might have factored into his findings.
They needed to know that I wasn’t going to do a high dive if the stimulator didn’t meet my blown up expectations. Every one is hoping for the ultimate answer for pain relief, ergo, unrealistic expectations.
If your sister can get another psych evaluation from a different psychiatrist it may have a different outcome.
She must not give up. A change in her meds should help with that. I am still taking pain meds even with the stimulator. The initial settings didn’t help me, but I have had some reprogramming and things are a little better. There is always hope. I’m guessing that your sister is younger than me. I’m 70, also female, and have been dealing with this for 20 years.
I don’t know where she lives, but you may need to explore a change in doctors.
I wish you both the best and pray that she gets the help and results she needs.
Mary
Mary0407 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote