View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Tyler,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

First things. You have been fed a load of lies about concussions. If you were knocked out, you were seriously concussed. If you have headaches after an impact, even just a strong header, that is a concussion, not a subconcussive impact. Subconcussive impacts do not cause headaches. They have no symptoms except maybe an awareness of 'woah,' I hit my head.

The doctor who said you were not likely concussed is an ignorant doctor. I would go as far as to call him an idiot. Your trainer who returned you to the playing field IS an idiot, a grossly negligent one at that. Trainers have access to excellent concussion information. He must have avoided it or is one of the concussion deniers.

btw, What country/state do you live in? Many states have regulations for management of concussions in sports.

Nobody should ever return to play after losing consciousness. Often, a 2 week wait is the minimum if there are no symptoms at 2 weeks. A concussion trained doctor's release is important.

As you realize, your soccer is over. Your head butt to the back of your head likely caused a concussion that included an upper neck injury. The 1st 2 cervical vertebra are easily injured and can take many months to heal, even years if they are not allowed to heal. The joint between C-1 and the skull (occiput) and between C-1 and C-2 are not very stable and need gentle rehabilitation.

Walking with a heel first foot plant gait can be rough. Put ear plugs in and listen to your heel hit. Try to walk to reduce that pounding. Learn to walk down hill with a bent knee or landing on your toes. This will reduce the pounding.

Feel free to post any questions. I have 50 years' experience with concussions. My soccer playing was ended by a header in 1970.

It appears you may be in SC.

Here is the SC law regarding Concussion Management in High School Sports:

2013-2014 Bill 3061: Student athletes - South Carolina Legislature Online

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote