View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 11:01 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Thank you for input Mark,
I certainly concur with the fact that i was misinformed and ignorant concerning the nature and precautions of concussions and concussion protocol. I curse myself everyday for my mistakes but it is what I have to live with. I have definitely come to terms with never playing soccer again competitively, and in retrospect, have come to realize that I have probably suffered more concussions than those documented, from headers and the like. I am 6'5" and have always been tall, so I was always called upon to win the ball off goal-kicks and set-pieces. As you said, the onset of symptoms following a header is indicative of a concussion provided no other extenuating conditions. My concern is that if that were true, I would probably have 15-20 concussions at this stage. Cognitively, I do not feel like I am at such a stage of disrepair, though I am young so I suppose healing could be expedited. I generally noted such a sensation after my first diagnosed concussion so I wonder now if you believe that the header could compress the cervical spinal cord briefly, leading to a sharp pain should their be a lack of stability or lingering subtle injury. Otherwise, they were merely concussions, which is concerning.

As you concluded, I do live in SC though I recently moved to Troy, NY for school. It appears the trainers have immunity and though I did report symptoms after coming off, though I did not admit to a lack of consciousness, on both accounts of my diagnosed concussion I was given a cognitive test (recite words, number, dates) and succeeded without fail on each. I did so at a physician following my first concussion and again at a neurologist after my second, more severe concussion. I put my hands in the trainer's hands on both accounts (different trainers), and it is clear the process should be refined.

As the Burrito Warrier made clear and as I have come to understand through experience, these sharp pains with footsteps are not concussive. I have experienced similar sensations in the car bumps in the road and whatnot as many others do. The difference for me is that I am concerned that they mimic my experience with headers in the past after my first concussion. Perhaps I am generalizing the pain, but what I experienced then with headers, and what I experience now with heavy footsteps and the occasional bump in the road, is the sharp pain that courses through the head and then a lingering headache behind the eyes. Given my experiences and readings, there are three things that can contribute to this: a neck issue, migraines, or brain damage (brain damage the only other option but illogical and an anxiety-induced conclusion). As you suggested, I have modified the way I walk since my most recent concussion, many saying I walk strange. I suppose what I am asking is if, from the further information I am providing, if you think it is a neck issue or a migraine related issue and where I should direct my efforts in terms of treatment. Obviously I can try both, but in terms of professional advice, financially that is more trying.

On a lighter note, how unwise is it for me to kick a ball about with others? It would not be a game, but it is difficult to meet people without doing activities like frisbee, soccer, etc. in college at first. As someone with so much experience, what are the limits of your physical activity, if you don't mind my asking? I know that is relative to the individual, but one grows incredibly tired of merely a stationary bike.
Tbaughcome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote