View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 09:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Alaska89,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

The impacts you describe do not usually result in a concussion. They are more likely to cause the symptoms that overlap between a concussion and upper neck injury.

That first doctor you saw was an ignorant doctor. You did not have PCS. That is not a diagnosis until 6 to 8 weeks have passed. That doctor likely made a diagnosis of PCS based on your subjective complaints. That is not a diagnosis.

Research shows that 80% of people who complain about prolonged PCS or concussion symptoms have a pre-existing condition of depression and anxiety. Depression and anxiety only affects 18% of the population. This shows a very strong tie between depression/anxiety and concussion/PCS complaints.

My impression is you suffered a vertical trauma to the upper cervical vertebra. Occiput to C-1 and C-1 to C-2 are joints that are prone to instability and ligament strains. The inflammation caused by trauma to this area can manifest with concussion like symptoms. The brain stem gets inflamed and blood flow is reduced and life can be challenging.

I don;t think you suffered damage other than strain in this area.

A gentle upper cervical therapist, chiropractor or physical therapist can help but your personal discipline to not strain your neck is paramount.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote