View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 10:28 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

I read your post. What you never explained is what your MRIs had said is the problem to give you my thoughts.
However, I understand time constraints, but I also would not have rushed into surgery until I got a second and even a 3rd opinion from multiple doctors.
I have had a L5-S1 ALIF. It took 3.5 years to locate and diagnose the ruptured disc. On a grade scale of 1-5, 5 being the worst, mine was a grade 4. Through those 3.5 years of battling doctors who thought I was crazy because all the MRI's and CT scans were all clean, and yet I was suffering in severe pain.
It was not until I found a new doctor who listened to me and said I needed a discogram that would identify my problem. I had the discogram done and it showed a grade 4 tear. I suffered with not just low back pain, but also had sciatica too. Even after I finally had the answer of what was wrong, I waited almost a year before having surgery. I first wanted to do research and get multiple opinions before having surgery. There were 2 options.
1) Disc Replacement
2) Disc Fusion
I wanted the disc replacement. Problem is, insurance would not cover it. That only left the disc fusion-ALIF. Now, the only choice that was left is who would I alliw to do my surgery.
In regards to sciatica, I had multiple issues that was causing it.
1) L5-S1 herniated/ruptured disc
2) Split Piriroformis muscle pinching the sciatic nerve
3) Tarlov Cyst
Tarlov Cyst I was not made aware of until years after the ALIF and Piriformis Release surgery.
In any case, both surgeries have helped. But, I still do suffer with pain. What I can say is this, I'm able to do more since having surgery than I could before surgery.
I hope this helps!
Diamond Tiger<3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote