View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 05:18 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hi all

Had the follow up with my Neuro today.

The electric tests (some of which were for small fibre too such as thermal testing) and blood tests all came back normal.

He mentioned that it's clear I have some sort of post infectious issue and that he doesn't believe my nerves are damaged, but there is a functional abnormality/they are misbehaving at a molecular level, as opposed to being anything structurally wrong.

Think he mentioned something about the brain becoming hypersensitive too and that's why my sensory and motor nerves (fasciculations) are firing off when they shouldn't.

He considers my symptoms on the mild end of the scale (I do agree based on some of the stories I have read on here) and does believe it will eventually go back to normal, although couldn't guarantee that.

He said what I have is on the same pathway as GBS, although not quite the same as I didn't have any paralysis nor needed a ventilator to breathe.

I mentioned IvIG and his thoughts were that it was a little too 'heavy duty' for what I am experiencing at the moment, and it would be best to try a phased approach with first Gaba and then Pregaba before it could/should be considered. He mentioned there's patients he has using this but they have extreme small fibre neuropathy.

He said a skin biopsy wouldn't change the course of treatment so he wouldn't advise that for now, and he also mentioned that generally small fibre damage symptoms are more consistent and include stabbing/burning which I don't have, and that my symptoms are very transient. He did acknowledge though some of what I have described is small fibre.

So, I am going to try Gaba for a few months and report back to him and see where we go from there.

He gave me a lot of his time and answered all the questions I had, so I am feeling more positive that this will eventually go!
LeedsLad84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (09-06-2020), echoes long ago (09-04-2020), Kitt (09-04-2020)