View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 03:25 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Confused Peripheral Neuropathy or stress? Mentally struggling and looking for advice

Hi,

tl;dr Experienced some tingles in lower leg in Jan this year. Thought it was kickboxing related due to area of tingles, was never in feet or any other place. Went away after 2 weeks and then returned in March and has been 24/7. Never was in my feet except when my stress was immensely high in May. Over time, the tingling was in my thighs occasionally, genitals, face, butt, head. Some I can acknowledge were probably from high stress and anxiety. EMG showed mild abnormality but altogether neurologist says no evidence of neuropathy/radiculopathy and suggests stress might be related. Really lost on what to do besides eating good, exercising, and seeing a counselor. I am 25 y/o diabetic but numbers have been controlled relatively well and off medications. I know it is probably diabetic/metabolic-related but not sure why it started in the ankles, compared to feet. I am scared and want my old life back. I know stress is playing a role because after getting control of my stress from July-August, tingling went away 99% in my forearms, genitals, and face and head. Part of me thinks its stress because my nerves were so sensitive when my stress got to its highest a few months. My limbs kept falling asleep when waking (arms and legs), skin hurting due to blood flow changes but stopped after splinting my arms when sleeping and reducing stress. But I am diabetic, so I know my future is very bleak anyways. Just looking for support, I know I cant look for diagnosis from this community but just looking for advice because I believe I have PN regardless of these tests (diabetes has ruined how I perceive myself and my future), but I am already making active changes rather than sitting around and complaining.

Background

In Jan this year, I had tingling in my lower legs (not my feet or anywhere else). I was doing kickboxing and thought it was that. Then the tingling went away. Then it came back in early March and has been 24/7. It was only in my bilateral ankle region at first but has now been from my knee to ankle mostly. In June, I began getting in my forearms and face. Then sometimes in my thighs and butt.

I was so scared and needed a doctor but due to COVID I wascouldn't do anything for till end of May. The tingling had gotten worse over those waiting months from, either natural progression or my stress and anxiety building. I saw an endo and neurologist who did so many lab tests (including small fiber lab related tests) and only thing that came from it was being dehydrated and slightly below vit. d levels.

Did a lumbar MRI which didnt show much besides slight L4/L5 bulging which my neuro said wasn't causing symptoms. I did EMG/NCS and it showed evidence of positive sharp waves in the left medial gastrocnemius and increased insertional activity in the left lateral gastrocnemius without significant denervation, reinnervation, or other changes. After my physical, lab tests, and EMG/NCS, she agreed that there is no evidence of neuropathy or significant radiculopathy at this time and reassured that there is no evidence of a significant neurologic process at this time.

I am a 25-year-old diabetic type 2. I was diagnosed in 2017 at 22 years old. I have lost 100lbs from my highest weight when I was diagnosed. Was on metformin for 1.5 years (1000mg increased to 2000mg but got off after I demonstrated for 3+ months that off meds, my fasting, and post-meal numbers rarely even went above 100mg/dL).

The numbers I had are below:

Jan 2017: fasting glucose 112 and A1c of 8.4.
Jan 2019: fasting glucose 105 and A1c of 6.4.
June 2019: fasting glucose 104 and A1c of 5.9.
December 2019: fasting glucose 99 and A1c of 5.9
June 2020: fasting glucose 91 and A1c of 5.8
warriors is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote