View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 06:21 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Functional nerve abnormalities vs. structural abnormalities

Hi everyone

I just wanted to ask those with much better knowledge than me on something that I have been wondering since my last Neuro appointment, and unfortunately I don't have another one in the diary at present.

Just for context, my query is in relation to this wording from my Neuro on current diagnosis:
The working diagnosis here is that of a post-infectious neuropathic syndrome which seems to affect small fibres and to a lesser extent large fibres. These are functional abnormalities as structurally the nerves are normal, neurophysiologically. (Detailed neurophysiological studies looking for abnormalities of large fibres but also small fibre were normal. )

My impression is this is a monophasic type illness and should resolve with time.
So I *think* it sounds like my ACTUAL nerves are fine and there is no damage, so if this is a functioning issue, does this mean what he is describing is akin to functional neurological disorder? Functional neurological symptom disorder: Symptoms and treatment seems to explain it well.

I have read all about myelin sheath, axons, etc. but now wondering if these areas are not actually an issue.

It's all very confusing as he has mentioned neuropathy which I thought was damage/inflammation. I am taking a bunch of supplements at the moment and wondering whether it's actually worthwhile if structurally everything is alright.

Both neuros I've seen have told me what I have should resolve with time, but it's been 7 months now and it seems like a long time to me....

Probably slightly more sensitive to it after having a pretty torrid weekend with pins and needles all over, especially my face. That was after having 1-2 really good weeks with very reduced flare ups.

Thanks in advance!
LeedsLad84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote